60th Annual Banquet and Silent Auction a Success !
On Saturday, November 10, 2012 The Lighter-Than-Air Society hosted its 60th Annual Banquet and Silent Auction. The event, held at the University of Akron’s Paul Martin Center was a resounding success.
Thank you to all those who attended and all the people and entities that contributed items for the auction.The program for the evening included a silent auction and a dinner. Following the dinner, Alvaro Bellon was presented with the P. Rendall Brown Lifetime Achievement Award.
The speakers for the evening were Dr. Jerry Drummond of the Aeronautics program of the University of Akron’s School of Engineering and Ian Maatz a student in the program. Dr. Drummond talked about the Aeronautics program and what makes it unique in the United States. Ian Maatz discussed his experience in the program and why he felt he made the right decision in choosing it. At the end of the program Eric Brothers talked briefly about Dr. A. Dale Topping and his involvement with buoyant flight during his lifetime. This was followed by the unveiling of the first exhibits of the Dr. and Mrs. A. Dale Topping Virtual Museum of the Lighter-Than-Air Society.
Silent Auction Items included:
- A ride in the Goodyear blimp for 2.
- An Akron/Macon airship era girder manufactured by the Goodyear Zeppelin Co. in Akron, Ohio.
- A 5-day stay at an apartment in Destin, Florida
- A hot-air balloon ride for two.
- 18 holes of golf for four players on the South Course of the Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio, including a cart.
- A golf package including 18 holes for two at Sable Creek Golf Club and 18 holes for four at Mayfair Golf Club.
- A round of golf for three at Portage Country Club including cart and lunch
- Abercrombie & Fitch gift card for $ 100.00.
- Two tickets to a performance at E. J. Thomas Hall in Akron.
- Two complimentary tickets to an Akron Symphony concert.
- Four general admission passes to the Akron Art Museum
- Four free passes to the MAPS Air Museum
- 4 passes to the All-American Soap Box Derby 75th Anniversary Race in July 2012
- Two tickets to a Weathervane Playhouse Show.
- Three framed posters of airships.
- Downtown Akron Partnership basket.
- Desk model of Learjet Model 60.
- Basket donated by Lockheed Martin with several lighter-than-air related items.
- Two coupons for an entrée and beverage from the Spaghetti Warehouse.
- A year-long membership to the Akron Auto Club.
- A wine basket from Silver Run Winery in Doylestown, Ohio.
- Two Akron Aeros tickets.
- Two silk flower arrangements.
- A 3-hour limo ride for eight people from Roy’s Travel and Limo Service.
- A wine basket with assorted regional wines,
- A Ping golf bag.
- Several gift certificates and items from local merchants.