On Saturday, October 22, 2011 The Lighter-Than-Air Society hosted its 59th Annual Banquet and Silent Auction. The event, held at the University of Akron’s Paul Martin Center exceeded all our expectations in attendance and in funds raised.
Thank you to all those who attended and all the people and entities that contributed items for the auction.
The program for the evening included a silent auction and a dinner. Following the dinner, Tom Riley was presented with the P. Rendall Brown Lifetime Achievement Award.
The speaker for the evening was Dr. Jim Maloney Jr. A former Goodyear blimp pilot, Dr. Maloney shared his experiences and adventures as pilot of the iconic blimps.
Silent Auction Items included:
- A ride in the Goodyear blimp for 2.
- Two Akron/Macon airship era girders manufactured by the Goodyear Zeppelin Co. in Akron, Ohio. These were retrieved from the Goodyear Zeppelin Airdock
- Private tour of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum and LTA exhibits at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, near Washington Dulles International Airport by Senior Curator Tom Crouch. This package includes a copy signed by the author of Lighter Than Air: An Illustrated History of Balloons and Airships by Dr. Tom Crouch, Senior Curator of the Smithsonian Institute’s Division of Aeronautics. Click here for details.
- Four tickets to the Browns/Steelers game on January 1, 2012, plus a parking pass
- 18 holes of golf for four players on the South Course of the Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio, including a cart (2012 Season). The South Course is the one on which the World Golf Championships’ ® Bridgestone Invitational is played.
- Golf package #2. Three golf courses and much more! Click here for details.
- A bed & breakfast package in Nelsonville, Ohio – just 20 minutes from Athens, Ohio and the Ohio University campus. Click here for details.
- Two Abercrombie & Fitch gift cards, $ 100.00 each
- The Movie Basket. Click here for details.
- A Treasure of Six Ohio Books from Gray & Company, Publishers. Click here for details.
- Two tickets to the Cleveland Playhouse production of The Game’s Afoot (or Holmes for the Holidays)
- Two tickets to a selected performance at E.J. Thomas Hall for the 2011 – 2012 Season of Events
- Two complimentary tickets to any Akron Symphony 2011-12 season concert
- Four general admission passes to the Akron Art Museum
- Two free passes to the MAPS Air Museum
- 4 passes to the All-American Soap Box Derby 75th Anniversary Race in July 2012
- 2 tickets to the November 12th performance of the Akron Symphony (courtesy of WKSU 89.7 FM
- Two tickets to a Weathervane Playhouse Show for the 2011-2012 season.
- Three framed posters of airships.
- Air Swimmer – one of the top ten hardest-to-find toys this Christmas and a canister of helium.
- Downtown Akron Passport basket with various items.
- Balloon ride – One person for approximately 1 hour
- Desk model of Spirit of Akron
- Basket donated by Lockheed Martin with several lighter-than-air related items.
- Two coupons for an entrée and beverage from the Spaghetti Warehouse.
- A year-long membership to the Akron Auto Club.
- A CD titled 4 Troops
For further information send an email to email@example.com.