04 Guggenheim Institute
The Daniel Guggenheim Airship Institute formed part of the Engineering School of the University of Akron. It was formed in 1929 under an agreement between the Daniel Guggenheim Fund for the Promotion of Aeronautics, the University of Akron and the California Institute of Technology. The Institute was built on the grounds of the Akron Municipal Airport, near the Airdock and was dedicated on June 26, 1932. The Institute was formally closed on July 1, 1949, as the use of airships diminished.